Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Oh Boy... FIRST GRADE!

First day of First Grade!?
I knew I would cry
... but I didn't think he would cry everyday since the first day of school!
It all sounded good... 3 recesses, lunch at school, best First Grade teacher....
New clothes, new shoes....
A new backpack...
Maybe even a break from Halie sounded good!

Then we arrived at school... and it took all the courage he had to take this picture with his teacher!
And sitting at his little desk was about all he could handle! When I went to leave... he came crying and clinging to my leg! It was horrible!

Probably one of the hardest days as a mom! How do you make your terrified child stay at school all day! Not knowing how they were? I had to... and it was awful... I had to take him to the office and leave him with the counselor... Micah was crying, I was crying, it was AWFUL to say the least. It was a horrible day... a long day... and I finally got to rescue him at 3:30, and there he was smiling. It wasn't as bad as he thought...
atleast until the next morning!

Day 2 of school, he thought he was sick, he cried and cried, and I had to drag him, terrified, shaking to school and leave him again! This time it was worse! An hour after I had left him, he called from the office begging me to pick him up! I told him I couldn't until school was over and told him I loved him and said goodbye holding back every tear i could... again horrible!
Day 3 was a little better because it was a half day... and he got to have pizza. We met the counselor at the gate and she walked him in, and gave him a smooth worry stone that he could put in his pocket and rub when he was nervous! He came home from school and told me {sigh} "Mom I just kept wanting to cry, but then I would just rub this little rock and then I would stop!"

It has been so trying as a mom! I can't handle this stress! It literally ripped my heart out leaving him at school! Tomorrow is Halie's first day at preschool alone, and I have the tissues and the diet coke ready!

1 comment:

sherryandbryon said...

Oh Melissa, I feel your pain! My little guy is the same way with everything. He's only 4, but he cried today when we went to a primary activity when he thought I was going to leave! I've tried signing him up for little sports and such, but it's not worth it because he cries everytime! I'm kind dreading kindergarten next year. He will probably cling to my legs, too, and we'll both be crying. It's tough. His twin sister is like your little girl though... she walks right into preschool, dance, anything... no fear at all! It's funny how they're so different. Hope things get better soon. I can totally relate. :)